Are you suffering from Postnatal Depression?
Postnatal Depression is a very real and serious problem for many mothers. It can happen to mothers after giving birth, however it is most commonly associated with the first pregnancy.
Postnatal Depression can occur anywhere from a few days to a few months after childbirth with a gradual or sudden onset. The symptoms of Postnatal Depression include:
- Low self-esteem and a lack of confidence
- Feelings of inadequacy or guilt
- Feeling that life is meaningless or hopeless
- Feeling that you are unable to cope
- Tearfulness or irritability
- Difficulty sleeping or changes in sleeping patterns
- Poor libido
- Loss of appetite
- Anxiety, panic attacks or heart palpitations
- Poor concentration or difficulty remembering things
The exact causes of Postnatal Depression are not yet fully understood however the enormous physical, emotional and social changes involved in becoming a parent seem to play a significant role.
Psychological treatment is the most effective way of treating postnatal depression. Psychological treatment can help by:
- Modifying negative thoughts, perceptions and emotions
- Aiding a speedy recovery
- Preventing a relapse into depression
If you or someone you know is showing signs of Postnatal Depression it’s important to seek professional help. Endeavour Wellness has qualified Psychologists who specialise in Post Natal Depression counselling.